City Year Milwaukee is seeking a Program Director (PD), who is responsible for the overall management of the day-to-day programmatic operations and achievement of service outcomes. The PD supervises Program Managers who directly manage the AmeriCorps members and their service goals. The PDs oversee AmeriCorps member development, ensure a strong service impact, create opportunities for engaging outside volunteers/visitors, foster opportunities for member development, and support the overall efforts of City Year’s mission statement. PDs are also responsible for working to promote the long-term sustainability of the site, fostering strategic relationships, serving on committees/portfolio teams, etc.
The PD is responsible for leading their program along with their fellow Program Directors, Training and Evaluation team, and Senior Director of Program and Service to meet all goals. They supervise up to 6 Program Managers and oversee up to 90 AmeriCorps members.
- BA/BS required; education sector experience a plus.
- Commitment to and experience with community service, national service and/or the development of young people as leaders.
- Communication: understands audience to deliver convincing and well organized presentations; facilitates effectively to move initiatives forward; uses brand to convey mission and goals; coaches others.
- Team Leadership: successfully leads diverse teams of individuals to achieve results; sets vision and appropriately delegates tasks; holds people accountable.
- Talent Development: builds an inclusive succession plan for key positions; maintains intellectual capital; shares leadership opportunities; supports talent development and staffing organization-wide.
- Decision Making Judgment: understands and manages organizational decision-making, including integration across network/departments; effectively communicates, manages, owns, and champions decisions being implemented.
- Strategic Thinking and Planning: develops and translates strategies into objectives, action plans and measurements, that build the capacity of the site/department.
- External Relations: takes initiative in establishing new partnerships and external opportunities; ability to secure commitments to organization.
Program Manager Management
- Develop, manage, and coach Program Managers through daily contact, site visits to schools, weekly check-ins, beginning of year goal setting and planning, midyear and end of year performance reviews, and professional development opportunities.
- Provide guidance on monthly and quarterly meetings, and annual Program and Service goals and administrative deadlines.
- Facilitate best practice sharing across teams.
- Support Program Managers in team leadership and work with Program Managers to ensure that AmeriCorps members are in AmeriCorps compliance.
Service Impact and Evaluation
- Tracks Program Manager’s data deliverables and reports teams' progress, observations, and general service impact information to Training and Evaluation Manager.
- Supports Training and Evaluation Manager and Program Managers in gathering data from schools.
- Regularly observes classroom and out-of-school activities.
- Supports Program Managers in placing AmeriCorps members in classroom.
- Build and maintain relationships with principal and school liaison and serve as supervisory contact.
- Ensure Program Managers are building strong relationships with school site stakeholders.
- Schedule and attend quarterly partnership assessment meetings and other school partner meetings as needed.
- Establish presence during any City Year and/or school crises.
- Work with Senior Director of Program and Service to develop strategy to secure continuation of funding allocations.
- Create and oversee neighborhood engagement strategy.
AmeriCorps Member Management, Training & Development
- Maintain site’s adherence to standards and national programmatic baselines.
- Meet as needed with Program Managers and AmeriCorps members regarding team management, accountability and standards issues, and manage disciplinary action regarding AmeriCorps members with support of Senior Director of Program and Service when appropriate.
- Work with Program Manager to identify day-to-day support for AmeriCorps members and communicate AmeriCorps member concerns to Senior Director of Program and Service for tracking and potential performance plans and/or referral.
- Communicate with Program Managers regarding AmeriCorps member development needs.
- Work with Training and Evaluation Manager and fellow Program Directors to develop trainings and training vision.
- Provide overall support to Training and Evaluation Team and Program Managers for all AmeriCorps member trainings.
Organizational Initiatives & Site Support
- Participate as a member of the City Year National Network’s Program and Service Team.
- Ensure that City Year national calendar is adhered to, as well as sitting in on bi-weekly national Program Director team calls.
- Lead on selected network initiatives as needed such as creating baseline trainings, collateral and tools, or serving as a leader for special initiatives at Summer Training Academy.
- Partner with City Year Milwaukee Development Department and Executive Office through applicant interview process, stakeholder engagement, service day participation, events and cross-departmental committees as needed to ensure site-wide goals are met.