When trying to solve something as serious as the drop-out rate in Philadelphia, it is important to pause and reflect often on the moments of joy that we see every day. At City Year, this is something we practice regularly, closing each day at school by sharing our successes and happiness with our team. Big or small, all moments of joy deserve a celebration and mark progress towards our goal of all students getting to graduation on time. Below are some examples of the moments that make us smile. Follow us on Twitter or Instagram this week for additional #CYJoys.
"My #CYJoy is thinking about how much my students have grown since September. They teach me something new every day and I am excited to see them excel in the future."
- Justin Lesko, City Year Philadelphia AmeriCorps Member serving Mary McLeod Bethune K-8 School
"My #CYJoy is helping my students learn and making it fun. Coordinate planes were boring until I showed them Battleship. Now they don't want to stop playing!"
- Joe McGee, City Year Philadelphia AmeriCorps Member serving at E.W. Rhodes Elementary
"My #CYJoy is serving alongside a team of young idealists. As a team, we achieve so much more than we could as individuals. On my most challenging days, I feel uplifted by them."
– Dennis Elwell, City Year Philadelphia AmeriCorps Member serving at G.W. Childs Elementary School
"My #CYJoy is seeing my students become more determined to work harder and get better grades. Some of them even help each other with homework! Their growing confidence is a true joy to witness."
- Shannon Fasanella, City Year Philadelphia AmeriCorps Member serving at Grover Washington Jr. Middle School
"My #CYJoy is seeing the way my students light up when they get a good grade on a test that we studied for. My student seeing that they CAN pass a math test brings me true joy."
- Zakiyah Ingram, City Year Philadelphia AmeriCorps member serving at William D. Kelley STEM Academy
"My #CYJoy is watching the students I helped last year learn, grow and become who I knew they could be."
– Star Taylor, City Year Philadelphia AmeriCorps Member serving on the Civic Engagement Team
"My #CYJoy is hearing one of my fourth grade students confidently recite a poem by Langston Hughes at our Black History Month assembly in front of over 700 students and faculty. He did not miss a beat. I am unbelievably proud of him!"
- Denise Sciasci, City Year Philadelphia AmeriCorps Member serving at G.W. Childs Elementary School
"My #CYJoy is giving students a chance to leave a lasting impact on their schools. One moment that really sticks out to me was letting a Bethune student sketch part of a mural that she'll now see every day when she enters her school."
- Liam Cummings, City Year Philadelphia AmeriCorps Member serving on the Civic Engagement Team
"My #CYJoy is the relationship built between a Corps member and a partner teacher. I believe the strength of that relationship will determine how well your year with the students will be!"
- Desmond Harrell, City Year Philadelphia AmeriCorps Member serving at Universal Alcorn Middle Years Academy